September 2017 was pretty groovy.
Besides the fact that NYC weather refuses to fully transition to fall, September was pretty good in terms of pop culture and entertainment. The summer ended with a splash of great music, which I can never complain about. Also, the fall TV premieres did not disappoint.
Let’s get to my September 2017 favorites!
Favorite News Articles
1. Maye Musk is our newest Covergirl. Can I be her when I turn 69?
2. Sean Spicer made an appearance at the Emmy’s. This award season is going to be wayyyyy too much fun.
3. Starbucks baristas dread the PSL frenzy. “Can’t they just put this into IVs and pump it directly into basic white girls’ veins?”
4. This college kid got hit by a ceiling tile while in class. AND HE DIDN’T DEMAND FREE TUITION. WHAT?!
5. Leo DiCaprio’s happy run. So many reasons for happiness.
1. “Underdog” by BANKS. We got a wild one over here, boys.
2. “For a Ride” by NOVAA x LO. Can NOVAA go on tour and come to NYC sometime soon, please? Thanks.
3. “24/7” by The Neighbourhood. Because I needed something in addition to “Sweater Weather” to listen to this season 🙂
As I predicted, the good music kept it coming in July 2017.
I’m really not sure where the year went at this point. Like really. I feel like I just celebrated my birthday but then I look at the calendar and I realize that was almost 3 months ago.
Anyway, here are my faves in the world of pop culture and entertainment for the month of July 2017:
Favorite News Articles
1. Polish First Lady Duda avoided shaking Donald Trump’s hand in Warsaw. Girl, I don’t blame you.
2. Brandless. I’ll be buying from this site in the coming weeks.
3. Lush sent Harry Styles 100 bath bombs. Baths with wine for days.
4. Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio doesn’t work out? Impressive.
5. These two on Tinder spent 3 years sending late messages to each other on the app. And now they finally met IRL. On live TV. How crazy!
1. “Miracles (Someone Special)” by Coldplay feat. Big Sean. That heavy violin intro and outro gets me every time.
Elizabeth Grant’s, erm, Lana Del Rey’s new album, Lust for Life was released today, and boy, is it one sultry 16-track album.
I just can’t get enough of her voice sometimes!
My favorite track on the album is the title track, “Lust for Life,” featuring another crooner fave The Weeknd. There’s so much intense imagery and repetition in the lyrics, which I’ve always really loved about Lana Del Rey’s music.
To celebrate Lust for Life, let’s enjoy this piece of Lana Del Rey fan art by Brazilian illustrator Will Costa that I found on Facebook. It has just the right amount of playful cartoon characteristics mixed with real human qualities. He captures Lana’s lips and eyes perfectly!
See more of Will Costa’s work on Facebook and watch the music video for “Lust for Life“.
Capital Cities duo Sebu Simonian and Ryan Merchant just made my Friday with the release of their new EP Swimming Pool Summer.
I was so caught off guard when I heard their voices coming through my headphones at the office while listening to Spotify’s New Music Friday!
The EP is super summery and upbeat. Long-time fans will not be disappointed.
In celebration, let’s enjoy this fan art I found on Twitter by Filipino Capital Cities fan @imnotjess. I love how vibrant and fun the colors are in this poster-like fan art. Perfectly matches the personality of the band!
View the original fan art here, and check out Swimming Pool Summer.
And here we all thought that the sass was real on Demi Lovato’s “Confident.”
Today, Demi’s collab with Jax Jones and Stefflon Don titled “Instruction” was released, and boy, I don’t think I wanna disobey!
Demi is basically boss lady on this track and I love every second of it.
To celebrate this amazing song, here’s some fan art of Demi by @londonhazz on Instagram. Look. At. Those. Lashes!
Check out some more of @londonhazz’s art and listen to “Instruction” here.
Katy Perry’s new album Witness dropped today, and although some think it’s pretty terrible, I kinda liked it. A little.
“Chained to the Rhythm,” one of the singles on the album, is an instant fave for me. I absolutely loved the music video for it as well. In terms of non-singles, “Tsunami” and “Déjà Vu” are really great. I do agree that Katy Perry tried to stray from her playful self a bit too much on this album.
Regardless, Teenage Dream still holds the spot as my favorite Katy Perry album.
Enjoy this intense digital fan art of Katy Perry that I found over on Instagram. It’s by by Indonesian graphic artist Muhammad Lutfi (@mdlutfi057). I can’t get over how captivating her blue eyes are in this piece!
Anyone else kind of miss Katy Perry’s dark hair days?
See more of Lutfi’s amazing fan art on Instagram, and give Witness a listen.
Paramore is back with some new music this week!
Their new song and music video “Hard Times” was released on Wednesdays, and Paramore fans are super stoked. So many things have changed about the band since their self-titled album came out in 2013. Hayley Williams got married, she died her hair blonde (loving it!), Zac Farro left for his solo project HalfNoise, and now he’s back!
So much excitement going on here!
In honor of this, enjoy a piece of Paramore fan art I found on Deviant Art by KoRniszonka. It features a 2012 version of the band, which included Hayley, Jeremy, and Taylor.
Oh, how times have changed.
Be sure to check out the original fan art on Deviant Art and watch “Hard Times” below!