I really don’t have an excuse for not having this favorites post done before the 10th so I’m just going to skip any nonsense explanations and get right to it.
Enjoy my June 2020 favorites below.
Favorite News Articles
1. Lucifer season 5 is coming this summer. So glad it didn’t get postponed with all the mess going on in the world!
2. A Kentucky tattoo parlor is covering racist ink for free. Now this is how you start meaningful change in majority White communities. #BLM
3. Barbara Streisand gave Gianna Floyd Disney stock. YES to everything about this!
4. An audience of plants attended a symphony in Spain. Is this the secret to enormous plant growth?
1. “Black Parade” by Beyoncé. I felt this Juneteenth jam deep in my Afro-Latina/West Indian soul.
2. “My People” by Amber Mark. Another Juneteenth tune that hit just right in the most minimalist way.
Years & Years put out a new album today called Palo Santo, and I’m really loving it!
My faves on the album are “Hallelujah”, “Rendezvous”, and “Karma”, which happen to be the more upbeat tunes on the track list. I’ve always loved the ballad-y songs from Years & Years, but this time around I’m digging the danceable melodies.
In celebration of Palo Santo, I’ve decided to feature this fun fan art of lead singer Olly Alexander for this week’s Fan Art Fridays. The watercolor piece is by Viva (@artisqueer) on Instagram. I absolutely love the flower crown look on him. He’s totally working it!
View the original on Instagram and check out Palo Santo on Spotify.
BØRNS released his new album Blue Madonna today, and I absolutely love it.
It’s got that smooth, laid-back grooviness I’ve come to really enjoy about his music. The album features Lana del Rey on “God Save Our Young Blood” and the title track “Blue Madonna.”
My faves on the album are “Sweet Dreams”, “Iceberg”, “Second Night of Summer”, and “Tension (Interlude)”, the latter being my number one favorite track on Blue Madonna.
In celebration of Blue Madonna, I’ve decided to feature this fun piece of fan art of BØRNS that I found on Tumblr by Erin Young. It’s an oil on canvas painting that depicts the singer with pink hair wearing a floral top and sunglasses that suit him perfectly.
View the original fan art on Tumblr, and listen to Blue Madonna on Spotify.
Justin Timberlake has made our Friday with a new song and music video, “Filthy.” He also shared with us the tracklist for his upcoming album Man of the Woods.
I mean, it’s a pretty intense pop single. The video takes place at conference in Asia during the year 2028. One of the lyrics goes, “Put your filthy hands all over me.”
Excuse me, mister?
Anyway, in celebration of “Filthy”, I’ve decided to feature this amazing fan art of Justin Timberlake I found on Pixels by Chrisann Ellis. It features the singer sporting his signature smolder on a greeting card!
Check out “Filthy” below.
The Neighbourhood put out a new song this week called “Scary Love”!
“Scary Love” is part of the band’s upcoming EP To Imagine. It features some pretty high pitched synths, making it sound as scary as the title suggests. When I first heard it today, Jesse Rutherford’s vocals kind of scared me when he sang the opening line “Move to the city with me” in a screeching yet beautiful falsetto.
I’m used to the somber R&B feel of their music but I could definitely get used to a few hair-raising synths 😉
In honor of the release of “Scary Love”, I decided to scour the internet for some fan art of The Neighbourhood. I found this really fun cartoon of the band on Pinterest. It’s not signed at the bottom so I have no idea who created it.
I find it very interesting how the artist decided to give the band members a clown blush look on their cheeks, since The Neighbourhood seems like a serious bunch of guys. Gotta love juxtapositions!
Listen to “Scary Love” on YouTube.
September 2017 was pretty groovy.
Besides the fact that NYC weather refuses to fully transition to fall, September was pretty good in terms of pop culture and entertainment. The summer ended with a splash of great music, which I can never complain about. Also, the fall TV premieres did not disappoint.
Let’s get to my September 2017 favorites!
Favorite News Articles
1. Maye Musk is our newest Covergirl. Can I be her when I turn 69?
2. Sean Spicer made an appearance at the Emmy’s. This award season is going to be wayyyyy too much fun.
3. Starbucks baristas dread the PSL frenzy. “Can’t they just put this into IVs and pump it directly into basic white girls’ veins?”
4. This college kid got hit by a ceiling tile while in class. AND HE DIDN’T DEMAND FREE TUITION. WHAT?!
5. Leo DiCaprio’s happy run. So many reasons for happiness.
1. “Underdog” by BANKS. We got a wild one over here, boys.
2. “For a Ride” by NOVAA x LO. Can NOVAA go on tour and come to NYC sometime soon, please? Thanks.
3. “24/7” by The Neighbourhood. Because I needed something in addition to “Sweater Weather” to listen to this season 🙂
As I predicted, the good music kept it coming in July 2017.
I’m really not sure where the year went at this point. Like really. I feel like I just celebrated my birthday but then I look at the calendar and I realize that was almost 3 months ago.
Anyway, here are my faves in the world of pop culture and entertainment for the month of July 2017:
Favorite News Articles
1. Polish First Lady Duda avoided shaking Donald Trump’s hand in Warsaw. Girl, I don’t blame you.
2. Brandless. I’ll be buying from this site in the coming weeks.
3. Lush sent Harry Styles 100 bath bombs. Baths with wine for days.
4. Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio doesn’t work out? Impressive.
5. These two on Tinder spent 3 years sending late messages to each other on the app. And now they finally met IRL. On live TV. How crazy!
1. “Miracles (Someone Special)” by Coldplay feat. Big Sean. That heavy violin intro and outro gets me every time.
Elizabeth Grant’s, erm, Lana Del Rey’s new album, Lust for Life was released today, and boy, is it one sultry 16-track album.
I just can’t get enough of her voice sometimes!
My favorite track on the album is the title track, “Lust for Life,” featuring another crooner fave The Weeknd. There’s so much intense imagery and repetition in the lyrics, which I’ve always really loved about Lana Del Rey’s music.
To celebrate Lust for Life, let’s enjoy this piece of Lana Del Rey fan art by Brazilian illustrator Will Costa that I found on Facebook. It has just the right amount of playful cartoon characteristics mixed with real human qualities. He captures Lana’s lips and eyes perfectly!
See more of Will Costa’s work on Facebook and watch the music video for “Lust for Life“.
Capital Cities duo Sebu Simonian and Ryan Merchant just made my Friday with the release of their new EP Swimming Pool Summer.
I was so caught off guard when I heard their voices coming through my headphones at the office while listening to Spotify’s New Music Friday!
The EP is super summery and upbeat. Long-time fans will not be disappointed.
In celebration, let’s enjoy this fan art I found on Twitter by Filipino Capital Cities fan @imnotjess. I love how vibrant and fun the colors are in this poster-like fan art. Perfectly matches the personality of the band!
View the original fan art here, and check out Swimming Pool Summer.
And here we all thought that the sass was real on Demi Lovato’s “Confident.”
Today, Demi’s collab with Jax Jones and Stefflon Don titled “Instruction” was released, and boy, I don’t think I wanna disobey!
Demi is basically boss lady on this track and I love every second of it.
To celebrate this amazing song, here’s some fan art of Demi by @londonhazz on Instagram. Look. At. Those. Lashes!
Check out some more of @londonhazz’s art and listen to “Instruction” here.