I’m not gonna lie, August 2017 was pretty fun.
As expected, some amazing tunes were released during the month. I had to cut my list down or else this monthly favorites would be basically all music.
Here are my favorites in pop culture and entertainment for August!
Favorite News Articles
1. Target is launching a line of $5 wines. I repeat: TARGET IS LAUNCHING A LINE OF $5 WINES.
2. This artist made a Van Gogh painting out of gummy worms. The idea seems fun but then ants are sort of a species that tend to like sugar…
3. Companies like Hertz started cashing in on the 2017 solar eclipse. They got so excited and overbooked, then ended up having to cancel reservations. What even.
4. Justin Trudeau fell out of a kayak. And he might have done so on purpose?
1. “Alone Together” by LEISURE. These guys are just phenomenal. So much groove and chill!
2. “Hurt Nobody” by Andrew Belle. I wish the tickets for his NYC show weren’t sold out so I’d have a chance to hear this live.
I’m convinced that this song is infectious.
Yesterday I learned that Sesame Street’s Ernie, Rosita, and Bert did their own version of Daddy Yankee and Luis Fonsi’s hit “Despacito”.
Yup. It’s called “El Patito.”
In lieu of this, let’s feast out eyes on these adorable chibi versions of Daddy Yankee and Luis Fonsi by Laura C Breezy (@lauracbreezy) on Instagram. She specializes in chibi celebrity fan art, some with anime eyes and others with human features. Although Daddy Yankee and Luis Fonsi take on the former, it’s insane how realistic the resemblance is!
And yes, I’m completely aware that I left the Canadian out of this post.
See the original fan art on Instagram and watch the Sesame Street version of “Despacito”!
We’re midway through the summer, and if you haven’t already gone on vacation, you’re probably going somewhere fun soon to escape work and all the stress of everyday life.
As with most things, traveling is so much fun when you’ve got great tunes to go along with you.
This year’s mid-summer playlist is music themed, with songs about different places around the world to feed your wanderlust soul.
I hope these 18 tracks take you on an unforgettable summer excursion.
1. Hollywood, RAC feat. Penguin Prison. Here’s to trying hard not to be that person while visiting the Land of Stars.
2. Hamburg, Kapekoff. “Together we’re alive.”
3. Michigan, Grammar. “In a heavy fever” indeed.
4. Chicago, Canon Blue. A song for those hot summer nights in Chicago.
5. Monterrey, TW Walsh. I bet you can “find a way to get to Monterrey”.
As I predicted, the good music kept it coming in July 2017.
I’m really not sure where the year went at this point. Like really. I feel like I just celebrated my birthday but then I look at the calendar and I realize that was almost 3 months ago.
Anyway, here are my faves in the world of pop culture and entertainment for the month of July 2017:
Favorite News Articles
1. Polish First Lady Duda avoided shaking Donald Trump’s hand in Warsaw. Girl, I don’t blame you.
2. Brandless. I’ll be buying from this site in the coming weeks.
3. Lush sent Harry Styles 100 bath bombs. Baths with wine for days.
4. Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio doesn’t work out? Impressive.
5. These two on Tinder spent 3 years sending late messages to each other on the app. And now they finally met IRL. On live TV. How crazy!
1. “Miracles (Someone Special)” by Coldplay feat. Big Sean. That heavy violin intro and outro gets me every time.
Cher Lloyd turned 24 today! I didn’t even know how close we were in age.
After realizing today is her birthday, I had to do a quick search to see what she’s been up to lately. Turns out she hasn’t released a new song since 2016…
Girl, get back on it!
Anyway, let’s celebrate the British singer with this fan art by @krisdraw23 on Instagram. Cher looks so innocent with her million of eyelashes, doesn’t she?
View the original fan art here.
Elizabeth Grant’s, erm, Lana Del Rey’s new album, Lust for Life was released today, and boy, is it one sultry 16-track album.
I just can’t get enough of her voice sometimes!
My favorite track on the album is the title track, “Lust for Life,” featuring another crooner fave The Weeknd. There’s so much intense imagery and repetition in the lyrics, which I’ve always really loved about Lana Del Rey’s music.
To celebrate Lust for Life, let’s enjoy this piece of Lana Del Rey fan art by Brazilian illustrator Will Costa that I found on Facebook. It has just the right amount of playful cartoon characteristics mixed with real human qualities. He captures Lana’s lips and eyes perfectly!
See more of Will Costa’s work on Facebook and watch the music video for “Lust for Life“.
June 2017 had some interesting developments.
Can I just say how excited I am for this summer’s new music?! So many amazing singles, EPs, and full length albums have come out already and the summer is less than a month in!
Let’s take a look at my favorites in pop culture and entertainment for June 2017:
Favorite News Articles
1. Ken has a man bun. I’m not a huge fan of man buns but this is really a quite interesting hipster-like look for a doll.
2. Obama wore the same tux for his entire presidency. The things men can get away with.
3. This guy’s business card tho. I’d get hella excited if I’d received anything close to this cool at a networking event.
4. Al Sharpton’s gym selfies. Let the man live.
5. Designer cantaloupe. Walmart, what makes you think anyone would trust this when everyone and their mother wants to buy organic?
1. Mister Mellow by Washed Out. Can someone book Ernest Greene at Lincoln Center with an accompanying orchestra to perform this album live please? Thanks.