June was a mix of mourning and adventure.
We lost two great figures, one from the fashion world (Kate Spade) and another from the food industry (Anthony Bourdain). This really made everyone wake up and realize that mental health is a serious issue plaguing our society.
There were, though, a few amazing things that happened in June. Let’s rewind my favorites in pop culture and entertainment last month:
Favorite News Articles
1. WE ARE ALL FURIOUS FACTIOUS POT WASHERS. Thank you, The Cut, for calling me out on my inherent nature to get pissed off about and mull over nonsense.
2. John Legend is not having it with this child separation situation. So don’t dare ask him about Sarah Huckabee Sanders’ dinners. You won’t like the answer.
3. Saudi women are now licensed to drive! Or, rather, can now obtain a license to drive. Either way, it’s about damned time!
4. An overdue congratulations is in order for Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson. I think they’ll be fine if they get comfortable in their engagement for a year and a half or so.
1. “TV in the Morning” by DNCE. Ugh, yes please. So smooth, so right.
Years & Years put out a new album today called Palo Santo, and I’m really loving it!
My faves on the album are “Hallelujah”, “Rendezvous”, and “Karma”, which happen to be the more upbeat tunes on the track list. I’ve always loved the ballad-y songs from Years & Years, but this time around I’m digging the danceable melodies.
In celebration of Palo Santo, I’ve decided to feature this fun fan art of lead singer Olly Alexander for this week’s Fan Art Fridays. The watercolor piece is by Viva (@artisqueer) on Instagram. I absolutely love the flower crown look on him. He’s totally working it!
View the original on Instagram and check out Palo Santo on Spotify.
It’s finally March, so you know what that means?
WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH IS HERE!
To celebrate all the lovely women in the world, all of March’s Fan Art Fridays will feature fan art of famous women. First up is the one and only Oprah Winfrey.
Oprah’s been floating in my mind this week after I read an article about a Starbucks barista that didn’t know who she was and asked how to spell her name on the cup.
I can’t even. Like, even without looking at Oprah’s face I’d know who she was just by her distinct voice!
Anyway, enjoy this phenomenal photo collage fan art of Oprah by Natu Zeta that I found on Instagram. I still haven’t fully understood how these photo collage art pieces work, but that doesn’t make them any less cool!
View the original fan art here.
So Drake is basically our hero of the week.
At the rapper’s concert this week in Sydney, Australia, he threatened an audience member for touching women inappropriately in the crowd.
What a creep!
He legit stopped the entire show to publicly embarrass this man, and I am so grateful for it. With all the crap that’s been going on with sexual assault, we need people like Drake to call out these creepers.
Like, did your parents never tell you not to touch random people in crowds, moreover in that way?!
As a thank you, I’ve decided to feature this cool Drake fan art by illustrator Ryan Simpson (@rtsimp) that I found over on Instagram. I love how he got the little curve design in Drake’s haircut just right!
Check out more of Ryan Simpson’s work at www.ryantsimpson.com!
I’m really loving Jessica Biel in the new USA series The Sinner. I’ve been a fan of hers since ages ago when she was in 7th Heaven, I think she’s perfect for the role of Cora Tannetti.
This week’s episode really stirred me up, so I thought it would be fitting to feature some fan art of Jessica Biel for this week’s Fan Art Fridays.
Enjoy this amazing sketch of Jessica Biel I found by Justin Maas (@maas.art) over on Instagram. I can’t get over that look in her eye in this sketch! It’s like one of those “maybe I’m hiding something” kind of looks, you know what I mean?
See the original fan art on Instagram.
As I predicted, the good music kept it coming in July 2017.
I’m really not sure where the year went at this point. Like really. I feel like I just celebrated my birthday but then I look at the calendar and I realize that was almost 3 months ago.
Anyway, here are my faves in the world of pop culture and entertainment for the month of July 2017:
Favorite News Articles
1. Polish First Lady Duda avoided shaking Donald Trump’s hand in Warsaw. Girl, I don’t blame you.
2. Brandless. I’ll be buying from this site in the coming weeks.
3. Lush sent Harry Styles 100 bath bombs. Baths with wine for days.
4. Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio doesn’t work out? Impressive.
5. These two on Tinder spent 3 years sending late messages to each other on the app. And now they finally met IRL. On live TV. How crazy!
1. “Miracles (Someone Special)” by Coldplay feat. Big Sean. That heavy violin intro and outro gets me every time.