Before we begin this October Favorites post:
IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO VOTE AND HAVE NOT YET DONE SO, KINDLY DROP EVERYTHING NOW AND GO TO YOUR POLLING PLACE. YES, IT’S THAT SERIOUS. GO FREAKING VOTE. LIKE, NOW. THANK YOU.
With that out of the way, let’s just jump right into my favorites in pop culture and entertainment for October 2018.
Favorite News Articles
1. Reese’s set up a candy converter in NYC for all of your unwanted treats. Goodbye, Necco wafers.
2. Netflix is developing a TV series and new films for The Chronicles of Narnia! My binge-watching chair is ready.
3. Meghan Markle is pregnant. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were not kidding when they said they wanted to have children right away!
4. David Schwimmer’s doppelganger is a thief. #ItWasntRoss
1. “Panoramic Girl” by Young the Giant. Strangely, this beautiful ballad is the only song I really like from their new album.
2. NYLA by Fancy Feelings / Animal Feelings ft. Anya Marina. Thanks for reminding me that at this time of year I’d rather be in LA for a mild autumn.
September 2018 is one of those months I’d prefer not to remember. It just reinforced my hatred for politics.
Also, RIP Laurex 😥
Anyway, let’s just jump right into my favorites in pop culture and entertainment for September, shall we?
Favorite News Articles
1. #DoTheLilo. Umm, okay, sure. Idk if this dance will really catch on here though, Lindsay. Maybe in Greece?
2. A live action version of Avatar: The Last Airbender is coming to Netflix! I coincidentally JUST finished watching the animated series with my bf 😀
3. Maroon 5 is performing for half-time at Super Bowl LIII. I AM SO HYPE.
1. “Entropy” by Supa Bwe ft. Dounia. The fact that this featured artist is from Queens is making this even more amazing for me!
2. “Damn” by Christine and the Queens. “What must a woman do?” you ask? Where do I begin?
June was a mix of mourning and adventure.
We lost two great figures, one from the fashion world (Kate Spade) and another from the food industry (Anthony Bourdain). This really made everyone wake up and realize that mental health is a serious issue plaguing our society.
There were, though, a few amazing things that happened in June. Let’s rewind my favorites in pop culture and entertainment last month:
Favorite News Articles
1. WE ARE ALL FURIOUS FACTIOUS POT WASHERS. Thank you, The Cut, for calling me out on my inherent nature to get pissed off about and mull over nonsense.
2. John Legend is not having it with this child separation situation. So don’t dare ask him about Sarah Huckabee Sanders’ dinners. You won’t like the answer.
3. Saudi women are now licensed to drive! Or, rather, can now obtain a license to drive. Either way, it’s about damned time!
4. An overdue congratulations is in order for Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson. I think they’ll be fine if they get comfortable in their engagement for a year and a half or so.
1. “TV in the Morning” by DNCE. Ugh, yes please. So smooth, so right.
Years & Years put out a new album today called Palo Santo, and I’m really loving it!
My faves on the album are “Hallelujah”, “Rendezvous”, and “Karma”, which happen to be the more upbeat tunes on the track list. I’ve always loved the ballad-y songs from Years & Years, but this time around I’m digging the danceable melodies.
In celebration of Palo Santo, I’ve decided to feature this fun fan art of lead singer Olly Alexander for this week’s Fan Art Fridays. The watercolor piece is by Viva (@artisqueer) on Instagram. I absolutely love the flower crown look on him. He’s totally working it!
View the original on Instagram and check out Palo Santo on Spotify.
It’s finally March, so you know what that means?
WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH IS HERE!
To celebrate all the lovely women in the world, all of March’s Fan Art Fridays will feature fan art of famous women. First up is the one and only Oprah Winfrey.
Oprah’s been floating in my mind this week after I read an article about a Starbucks barista that didn’t know who she was and asked how to spell her name on the cup.
I can’t even. Like, even without looking at Oprah’s face I’d know who she was just by her distinct voice!
Anyway, enjoy this phenomenal photo collage fan art of Oprah by Natu Zeta that I found on Instagram. I still haven’t fully understood how these photo collage art pieces work, but that doesn’t make them any less cool!
View the original fan art here.
So Drake is basically our hero of the week.
At the rapper’s concert this week in Sydney, Australia, he threatened an audience member for touching women inappropriately in the crowd.
What a creep!
He legit stopped the entire show to publicly embarrass this man, and I am so grateful for it. With all the crap that’s been going on with sexual assault, we need people like Drake to call out these creepers.
Like, did your parents never tell you not to touch random people in crowds, moreover in that way?!
As a thank you, I’ve decided to feature this cool Drake fan art by illustrator Ryan Simpson (@rtsimp) that I found over on Instagram. I love how he got the little curve design in Drake’s haircut just right!
Check out more of Ryan Simpson’s work at www.ryantsimpson.com!