Celebrating Record Store Day with Seoul on vinyl.
Enjoy the melancholy vibes of ‘I Become a Shade’ during these miserable first few weeks of spring.
Celebrating Record Store Day with Seoul on vinyl.
Enjoy the melancholy vibes of ‘I Become a Shade’ during these miserable first few weeks of spring.
Of course my neck would hurt and my head would start to pound on the last day of this God-forsaken year when I’m scheduled to recap the songs, artists and albums that kept us all sane in 2020.
Anyway, I’m powering through this with the help of Tylenol and eggnog.
Truly, music is the MVP this year. I’m amazed at how many artists followed through on their releases and then some (looking at you, T-Swizzle).
So without further ado, I present 2020’s Best in Music:
1. “Nydia,” Buscabulla, Regresa. Started out the year with these enchantingly addicting vocals.
2. “Sinner,” Galimatias, Renaissance Boy. This boy better get his behind on tour as soon as its safe to do so again.
3. “Pure / Santiago,” Lido, Peder. This year’s pleasant surprise for sure.
4. “Is It True,” Tame Impala, The Slow Rush. I feel like Tame Impala knew how 2020 was gonna go before it even started.
5. “Midnight Sky,” Miley Cyrus, Plastic Hearts. I can get used to this rock and roll phase.
6. invisible string, Taylor Swift, folklore. Back on that Taylor Swift train.
7. “Mission,” Qveen Herby, EP 9. Eat cake, stream spoopy Qveen.
8. “WATER (ft. Pharrell Williams, Salatiel),” Beyoncé, The Lion King: The Gift (Deluxe Edition). So glad this was re-released with Black is King!
9. “Back Up,” Aluna, Renaissance. AlunaGeorge WHO?!
10. “Easy”, Troye Sivan, In A Dream. So proud of this kid.
11. “Spark It Up,” LEISURE, Side A. Not even a global pandemic can rob this band of their chill.
12. “Supersonic”, Fleurie, Portals (The Deluxe Version). Excited to watch Fleurie continue to grow as an artist.
13. “Oakland (ft. Winnetka Bowling League),” RAC, BOY. Lord knows we all needed this RAC album this year.
14. “Babe Ruth,” COIN, Dreamland. The calm before the chaos.
15. “Dance Again,” Selena Gomez, Rare. “Feels so good” indeed.
See you on the other side 😉🎉
That wonderful time of year has come again—the time where I look back at all the songs, artists, and albums that provided the soundtrack to my year.
I will admit before diving into my list of 2019’s best that because of a new job I got about halfway through the year, I do not have as much disposable time to listen to Spotify and discover new artists anymore. I know. Tragic.
Regardless, the music I did find time to listen to was well worth it. Enjoy the best in music for 2019:
1. “Tied Up”, LEISURE, Twister. LEISURE for sure turned the heat up with this one.
2. “Just Like You”, Satin Jackets, Solar Nights. Still waiting to find out who the vocalist is on this amazing tune.
3. “Follow My Girl,” Japanese House, Good at Falling. Always so melodic.
4. “Knives,” Kim Petras, TURN OFF THE LIGHT. The title recommends it, so listen with the lights out for the full experience.
5. “Warm (ft. Haim)”, Charli XCX, Charli. If there’s anyone in the music industry that has grown significantly this decade, it’s Charli XCX.
6. “Unholy”, Miley Cyrus, SHE IS COMING. She came.
7. “Bags”, Clairo, Immunity. Bedroom pop queen can do no wrong.
8. “Karma”, Marina, Love + Fear. Such a well rounded allbum of highs and lows.
9. “bad idea”, Ariana Grande, thank u, next. I always feel like living dangerously when I listen to Ariana Grande, and this album is no exception.
10. “Señorita (ft. Camila Cabello), Shawn Mendes, Shawn Mendes. This kid is going places.
11. “Every Single Time”, Jonas Brothers, Happiness Begins. 13-year-old Dana is still screaming.
12. “Who I Am”, Toro y Moi, Outer Peace. Everything about this album was futuristic fun.
13. “Your Heartbeat Against Mine (ft. Nandi Rose Plunkett)”, From Indian Lakes, Dimly Lit. This LP caught me by surprise, and I loved every second.
14. “FWM”, Qveen Herby, EP 6. All hail the qveen.
15. “What Love Is”, Mystery Skulls, Back to Life. So many ’80s vibes on this!
Here’s to 2020!
After these terrible rainy days that we can’t seem to get a long enough break from in NYC, I’m finally sitting down to share a playlist of 10 summer vacation-themed tracks! From basking in summer activities to traveling to your next vacay destination, this playlist is a fun mix of mellow and exciting.
1. Holiday, Qveen Herby. Request that PTO and get ready to “put on your grass skirt and hula” all summer long.
2. Summertime Magic, Childish Gambino. Let the vacation festivities begin!
3. Cheapest Flight (Aluna George Remix), PREP. Already booked.
4. Swimming Pool Summer, Capital Cities. “Can’t escape the heat.”
5. Permanent Vacation, 5 Seconds of Summer. It has only just begun.
6. Frequent Flyer, Chromeo. Using up those frequent flyer miles this season.
7. Tuttifruitti, Phoenix. “We’ll be trashing motels.”
8. Flight Mode, Mr Sanka. Mood.
9. The Beach, Cannons. Here’s to letting go of that summer love that was never really worth it.
10. Glamorous, Fergie ft. Ludacris. A fancy little reminder to get on a plane back home once you’ve run out of vacation money.
Enjoy your summer vacation 😉
Enjoy a new episode of Got It On Vinyl featuring the mellowed out Everything Feels Better Now by From Indian Lakes!
Alrighty, it’s about that time of year where I look back at the songs, artists, and albums that got me through the last 365 days.
I feel like all the artists in 2018 were putting in overtime (looking at you, Uppermost)! Like, damn! So many amazing musical projects came into fruition this year.
Here are the best in music for 2018:
1. “Midnight Summer Jam”, Justin Timberlake, Man of the Woods. Is it even possible for JT to make an album that isn’t good? I don’t think so.
2. “blazed”, Ariana Grande ft. Pharrell Williams, sweetner. Ariana killin’ it as usual, and Pharrel just adding some extra pizzaz.
3. “Count to Five”, Rhye, Blood. I could literally listen to Rhye until I die.
4. “Mona Lisa”, Sabrina Carpenter, Singular: Act I. What kind of person would leave a girl like Sabrina hanging like that?
5. “LA Girls”, Charlie Puth, Voicenotes. I’m not from LA, but Charlie kinda makes a girl wish she were.
6. “Crybaby” Paloma Faith, The Architect (Zeitgeist Edition). Thank you, Spotify Chromecast tutorial, for introducing me to Paloma Faith.
7. “Dreams”, Uppermost, Given by Nature. So enchanting.
8. “Atoms”, Uppermost ft. Birsen, Perseverance. When Uppermost does the most in 2018 😉
9. “Damn (what must a woman do)”, Christine and the Queens, Chris. Idk man. I just don’t. Sigh.
10. “I Want You”, Elohim, Elohim. You tell him like it is, girl.
11. “Couples Retreat”, Jon Bellion, Glory Sound Prep. I bet Jon’s wife melts like chocolate whenever she hears him sing.
12. “Ride or Die”, The Knocks ft. Foster the People, New York Narcotic. Such a feel good tune, and overall album.
13. “walk from here”, lovelytheband, finding it hard to smile. Those guitar chords get me every time.
14. “Towel”, The WLDLFE, I’m Not Worried Anymore. So glad I discovered these guys this year.
15. “When We Drive”, Death Cab for Cutie, Thank You for Today. Death Cab, hitting you with a big bag of emotions since 1997.
16. “All the Work”, Amber Mark, Conexão. Definitely want to see this girl perform live someday.
17. “Change Your Mind”, Miike Snow, 50 Shades Freed Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. What are we supposed to do now that all the films have been released and there are no more soundtracks coming?! 😥
18. “Glitter”, Keys n Krates ft. Ambré Perkins, Cura. Ugh, this album shines “like glitter.”
19. “Something”, Henry Green, Shift. Keep the slow jams coming, Henry.
20. “Happy Without Me”, Chloe x Halle ft. Joey Bada$$, The Kids Are Alright. Can’t wait to see what these girls put out next. So. Much. Talent!
Happy New Year 2019!
I had some crazy deadlines this month, so I had to push this to the last possible day in May.
Hope you enjoy this month’s installment of Got It On Vinyl, featuring Day Wave’s The Days We Had.
Spring 2018 finally decided to make its way to New York. Yeah, I know, I know, it’s technically already mid-spring. Mother Nature is such a diva.
And then she had the nerve to make it so hot during the first week of May that I couldn’t even walk three minutes to the train station without sweating under my moto jacket. Ugh.
Anyway, spring is shaping up to be quite beautiful this year, so I’ve created a fantasy wonderland-esque playlist for this season. I’ve thrown in some pop, indie darlings, and a dash of light EDM. Enjoy it on a long walk or a smooth drive:
1. Aiir, Henry Green. Starting this out with a breath of freshness. “Let the crisp air fill [your] lungs.”
2. Breeze Off the Pond, Justin Timberlake. Take a note from this Man of the Woods. “Let it blow through you.”
3. I’m Like a Bird, Nelly Furtado. Don’t you just want to fly away with the birds and company?
4. Daylight, Maroon 5. Soak up every beautiful ray of daylight this spring.
5. Sky’s Still Blue, Andrew Belle. For when there isn’t a cloud in sight.
6. Sky Full of Song, Florence + the Machine. “You’ve been staying out so late” and “kissing strangers” this spring, Florence? What now?
7. Blossom Roses, Her. Do you “recall the perfume of roses”?
8. Tame Birds, Canon Blue. This number will add a little groove to your spring. Catch it before it goes “vanishing in the air.”
9. Second Nature, Stalking Gia. “Loving you is second nature to me now, I can’t stop.”
10. Roses, Angus and Julia Stone. Will she bring you roses, Angus? I sure hope so.
11. Only the Horses, Scissor Sisters. “Only the horses can bring us back home.”
12. Rainbow, Kesha. After all this rain we better be seeing rainbows 😉
13. Natural Light, Porter Robinson. An illuminating symphony.
14. Neverland (Chilled Version), Tyler Touche. Let’s slow this to a halt with a little romantic chill from Neverland before the summer heat.
Be gentle, Mother Nature.
It’s the end of 2017, so I put myself to the arduous task of compiling a list of the year’s best in music again. I was just as selective this year as I was in 2016, so the list below only contains 15 songs/artists/albums. I’m becoming very good at this.
Anyway, let’s not waste any time. Here are my favorite songs, artists, and albums of 2017!
1. “Feels” ft. Pharell Williams, Katy Perry, Big Sean, Calvin Harris, Funk Wav Bounces Vol.1. You heard Katy, “don’t be afraid.”
2. “Hurt Nobody”, Andrew Belle, Dive Deep. I think this one takes number one in my heart for best love song of 2017 to slow dance to.
3. “Observer” Darius, Utopia. Darius is a genius and Utopia goes to extreme lengths to prove it.
4. “For a Ride”, NOVAA, Lo, Lights. What a fantastic duo. I would so love to see these two work together again in 2018.
5. “Plastic Rose” Maroon 5, Red Pill Blues. Well, if it’s plastic, doesn’t it mean the love will never die?
6. “Saw You In A Dream”, The Japanese House, Saw You In A Dream. This is the best single I’ve ever heard from The Japanese House. So much emotion in those lyrics.
7. “Depths” ft. Animal Feelings, Mammals, Chase Your Bliss. I kept hearing Mammals as a featured artist on a bunch of songs I love. It’s great to see the roles reversed on this EP. Animal Feelings brought good vibes.
8. “High Off Love” Cannons, Night Drive. Cannons is such glamorously smooth chillwave and I can’t get enough.
9. “Human Touch” ft. Maya Vic, KAPPEKOFF, Kappekoff. If you know me well enough, you’ll understand why the intro to this song gets me every time.
10. “Told You So”, Paramore, After Laughter. Paramore made such a fun comeback in 2017! I love Hayley’s new hair too!
11. “Night Time TV” Fenech-Soler, ZILLA. Can you imagine how fun these guys must be in concert? Like, woah, buddy!
12. “Just a Feeling” ft. VERITÉ, Phantoms, Phantoms. This song has followed me to various stores after I heard this album, and I’m not even mad though. VERITÉ’s voice is a vision.
13. “Malibu 1992”, COIN, How Will You Know If You Never Try. So retro, so somber, so good.
14. “Disguise”, Day Wave, The Days We Had. Prom dance anyone? Also, I am proud to say I own this on vinyl!
15. “Plea Rel”, Canon Blue, Lasso Yo. If he’s saying what I think he’s saying in this song this dude must have had a rough year. Welcome back, Canon Blue.
Happy New Year’s Eve!
My favorite part of the year is here again! 2016 was a great year in music for my indie darlings and popular artists alike. As usual, thanks to Spotify, I was introduced to countless new music making geniuses, causing a great deal of stress while creating this “best of” list.
Nonetheless, I made a decision to only choose 15 songs. I don’t know how I did it, but here it is: 2016’s best songs, artists, and albums!
1. “Dans Un Autre Reve,” Brett, Mode. I played this song all summer after I discovered it. Loved the EP, and I’d love to see Brett perform live in 2017!
2. “Instantané,” Paradis, Recto Verso. Every. Single. Heart. String. Every single one is sent afflutter when I hear this gem. This full length album was well waited for.
3. “Always,” HalfNoise, Sudden Feeling. I love how the instrumentals on this albums have a smidge of hopefulness in them, yet the lyrics come across a bit heart-wrenching.
4. “Belong,” Roosevelt, Roosevelt. Another full length album that was well worth waiting for. So happy I got to see Roosevelt perform live this year!
5. “Breaks,” Goldroom, West of the West. Not going to lie, I still want Goldroom to reissue this album with his vocals on all of the tracks.
6. “Baby You’re Bad,” Honne, Warm on a Cold Night. Almost saw them live, but I was in the process of getting settled in my new apartment when they came to NYC. So many great songs on the album, but this one stood out the most.
7. “Onirism,” REFLEX, Lucid Dreams. Such a quirky album. If you’re looking for a good Balearic/House band, look no further.
8. “Coast to Coast,” Satin Jackets (ft. NTEIBINT), Parnorama Pacifico. Satin Jackets blew me away with this album. Those beats hit deep.
9. “All Over You,” LEISURE, LEISURE. The most laid back band with the most laid back album of 2016. Guaranteed.
10. “Public Radio,” TW Walsh, Fruitless Research. I feel like I’ve been transported to the 1970s whenever I listen to this album. Love the distortion on this track specifically.
11. “Knew Better / Forever Boy,” Ariana Grande, Dangerous Woman (Deluxe). This “Dangerous Woman” told ’em like it is.
12. “House on Fire,” Sia, This is Acting. I remember coming down with a cold while listening to this album at work. Played this album on repeat while getting better (thanks Sia!).
13. “Somebody Else,” The 1975, I Like It When You Sleep… So many different emotions on one album. The 1975 is just too many vices not to enjoy.
14. “Go!” M83 (ft. Mai Lan), Junk. I was really sad about this album not having Morgan Kibby on it, and the title didn’t calm me until I heard it in it’s entirety. Loved Mai Lan’s vocals, and I hope she works with M83 again soon.
15. “There’s No Need,” Empire of the Sun, Two Vines. “I think I said goodbye to  tonight…”
Here’s to 2017!