I’m going to be honest here: I do not like scary movies. I just cannot sit in front of a screen while a character is being repeatedly tortured, brutally murdered and/or frightened to near death. Call me a scaredy-cat, a wimp or any other names you want–I don’t care.
I’m sure I’m not the only one, and this distaste doesn’t have ruin your Halloween film-watching escapades. No need to jump out of your PJs screaming, because here’s a list of eight not-so-spooky Halloween movies for you to enjoy!
1. Corpse Bride (2005): This move was created with so much beautiful artistry that there’s no time to feel afraid by it. Those who love a little bit of romance will enjoy this Tim Burton classic.
2. Young Frankenstein (1974): Turn your screams into laughs with this hilarious parody version of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. Who would have thought that such a horrid disaster could be so funny?
3. Disturbia (2007): It’s kind of hard to believe they were able to work some funny bits into this film. Become a spy while Kale, a student on house arrest for punching his Spanish teacher solves a neighborhood crime.
4. Vacancy (2007): Check into Pinewood Motel with Amy and David–or don’t actually, because you might end up the victim of snuff film. The couple’s paranoia becomes mildly laughable in some scenes.
5. Warm Bodies (2013): Who doesn’t love a hopelessly romantic zombie? Warm Bodies will indeed warm your entire body, from the inside out.
6. Haunting Hour: Don’t Think About It (2007): This family film is based on an R.L. Stine book of the same name. Oh, and the “evil thing”? I dare you NOT to think about it.
7. Edward Scissorhands (1990): A bedtime story about a man with scissors for hands who doesn’t try to intentionally harm people, and he even styles hair?! Where can I find him?
8. Oscar’s Hotel (2014): Unlike Vacancy‘s Pinewood Hotel, Oscar’s Hotel is one you might actually want to check into. This short film by YouTuber PJ Liguori (KickThePJ) is loads of fun, featuring monsters, a crazy uncle, and YouTubers Mitchell Davis (livelavalive) and Chris Kendall (crabstickz).
Have a happy and safe Halloween 2014!