Summer is over, guys. As much as you want to hold on to your tank tops and surf boards, autumn is here. It’s time to bring out the rake for all those leaves.
Fall is characterized by rustling leaves and jack-o-lanterns, scarecrows and creepy mansions. Therefore, I present to you a fall playlist of 15 songs that will make you feel haunted.
1. Spotlight, Mutemath: Many of you might remember this song from the first Twilight movie when Bella notices everyone in the school parking lot is staring at her and Edward Cullen as they walk into the building. The melody created by the chorus of ‘ahs’ in this song will send chills up your spine. In a good way.
2. Meet My Friends, Gold Fields: This Aussie band will send you into a frenzy with the sinister guitar rifts featured in this song! The lyrics are very dark as well, as they sing, “I saw faces, I saw the fear.” Look away!
3. Entertainment, Phoenix: French band Phoenix uses some creepy sounding synth melodies for this track in order to entertain you. So, did they succeed?
4. I Belong to You, Muse: This song is also featured in a Twilight movie, New Moon to be exact. How comfortable are you with the notion of belonging to Muse?
5. Bones, MS MR: Pretty Little Liars fans might remember this song from the episode where the girls attend Detective Wilden’s funeral. Will you obey MS MR’s command to “Dig up her bones but leave the soul alone”?
6. Bittersweet World, Ashlee Simpson: Got some skeletons in your closet? Well maybe you should let them out so that they can dance to this song!
7. Not in Love, Crystal Castles ft. Olin and the Moon: The notoriously dark electronic band Crystal Castles teams up with Olin and the Moon for this anti-love track. The synth might actually relax you. Might.
8. One Life Stand, Hot Chip: The ever so clever Hot Chip creates a frightful track using a play on the concept of a “one night stand.” Now, the real question is, do you want to be Hot Chip’s one life stand?
9. Insomniatic, Aly and AJ (78Violet): Aly and AJ recorded and released this song before changing their name to 78Violet. I cannot be held responsible if this song keeps you up at night.
10. Howl, Florence and the Machine: The beautiful yet creepy violins in this song make this one of Florence’s masterpieces. So, be careful young, lovers.
11. Heavy Heart, Canon Blue: The discordant synth intro of this song is enough to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. Enjoy!
12. Polish Girl, Neon Indian: I don’t know who she is but Neon Indian is taken by this Polish girl. How quickly can she take you?
13. Shoot the Water, Austra: Between the piano melody and the lyrics, I can’t decide which is creepier. I think the lyrics win, especially when she sings, “I want your blood, I want it in my hair.” Eww.
14. Bloody Mary, Lady Gaga: She won’t cry for you. She just won’t do it. Beware, the deep male ghost-like voices that sing “GAGA” in the bridge are quite alarming. And scary.
15. Are You Afraid?, Rooney: After all of this haunted stuff is said and done, are you afraid? Did I actually give you a scare? Rooney wants to know!
Have a happy and safe autumn season 2013!
Leave a Reply