My favorite part of the year is here again! 2016 was a great year in music for my indie darlings and popular artists alike. As usual, thanks to Spotify, I was introduced to countless new music making geniuses, causing a great deal of stress while creating this “best of” list.
Nonetheless, I made a decision to only choose 15 songs. I don’t know how I did it, but here it is: 2016’s best songs, artists, and albums!
1. “Dans Un Autre Reve,” Brett, Mode. I played this song all summer after I discovered it. Loved the EP, and I’d love to see Brett perform live in 2017!
2. “Instantané,” Paradis, Recto Verso. Every. Single. Heart. String. Every single one is sent afflutter when I hear this gem. This full length album was well waited for.
3. “Always,” HalfNoise, Sudden Feeling. I love how the instrumentals on this albums have a smidge of hopefulness in them, yet the lyrics come across a bit heart-wrenching.
4. “Belong,” Roosevelt, Roosevelt. Another full length album that was well worth waiting for. So happy I got to see Roosevelt perform live this year!
5. “Breaks,” Goldroom, West of the West. Not going to lie, I still want Goldroom to reissue this album with his vocals on all of the tracks.
6. “Baby You’re Bad,” Honne, Warm on a Cold Night. Almost saw them live, but I was in the process of getting settled in my new apartment when they came to NYC. So many great songs on the album, but this one stood out the most.
7. “Onirism,” REFLEX, Lucid Dreams. Such a quirky album. If you’re looking for a good Balearic/House band, look no further.
8. “Coast to Coast,” Satin Jackets (ft. NTEIBINT), Parnorama Pacifico. Satin Jackets blew me away with this album. Those beats hit deep.
9. “All Over You,” LEISURE, LEISURE. The most laid back band with the most laid back album of 2016. Guaranteed.
10. “Public Radio,” TW Walsh, Fruitless Research. I feel like I’ve been transported to the 1970s whenever I listen to this album. Love the distortion on this track specifically.
11. “Knew Better / Forever Boy,” Ariana Grande, Dangerous Woman (Deluxe). This “Dangerous Woman” told ’em like it is.
12. “House on Fire,” Sia, This is Acting. I remember coming down with a cold while listening to this album at work. Played this album on repeat while getting better (thanks Sia!).
13. “Somebody Else,” The 1975, I Like It When You Sleep… So many different emotions on one album. The 1975 is just too many vices not to enjoy.
14. “Go!” M83 (ft. Mai Lan), Junk. I was really sad about this album not having Morgan Kibby on it, and the title didn’t calm me until I heard it in it’s entirety. Loved Mai Lan’s vocals, and I hope she works with M83 again soon.
15. “There’s No Need,” Empire of the Sun, Two Vines. “I think I said goodbye to  tonight…”
Here’s to 2017!