Guys, my favorite moment of the year is here! I absolutely love looking through my Starred playlist on Spotify to curate my list of the best songs, artists, and albums of the year! This year’s list got pretty lengthy, so I decided to be very selective (which was almost impossible thanks to Spotify’s Discover Weekly) and cut my list down to 25.
Some fun international artists made it on to this list, as well as some artists that I’d heard in the past on mix albums and short EPs. I even got to see Trails and Ways and Neon Indian—two artists on my list below—live this year!
Enjoy my list of 2015’s Best in Music!
1. “Le Bal Des Oubliés,” Paradis, Couleurs Primaires. This EP snuck up on me. I didn’t know it existed until like three months after it came out but it’s an absolute French delight!
2. “I Give It,” Night Beds, Ivywild. Even though I can’t understand what’s coming out of Night Bed’s singer Winston Yellen’s mouth 95% of the time, the tone of his voice is just so good it doesn’t even matter!
3. “Company,” Justin Bieber, Purpose. No matter what crappy thing this boy does to worsen his reputation one thing is certain: he will always deliver good music.
4. “I Can’t Be Your Superman,” Skylar Spence, Prom King. Don’t doubt yourself, Skylar Spence.
5. “Dream About Me,” Trails and Ways, Pathology. These guys sound amazing live. You’ve gotta love a band that even lets the drummer sing lead on a track!
6. “Slumlord,” Neon Indian, Vega Intl. Night School. Psychedelic dreams, this one. I’d enroll in Vega Intl. any night.
7. “Science Fiction,” Christine and the Queens, Christine and the Queens. Words cannot explain how happy I am that she decided to release an English version of this album! Also, enjoy this live performance and choreography (you won’t know what hit you at 1:08!):
8. “Light Up,” Mutemath, Vitals. I hadn’t heard these guys since the Twilight soundtrack they were on ages ago. I really hope they come out with a music video for “Light Up” at some point.
9. “Molecules,” Disclosure, Caracal. It was so hard to choose just one song that I loved from Caracal, but I went with “Molecules” because Disclosure sounds damn good singing on their own tracks without featured artists too!
10. “Me and the Rhythm,” Selena Gomez, Revival. This song was on repeat from the moment the full album was released and I regret nothing.
11. “Dopamine,” BØRNS, Dopamine. You just have to love BØRNS with his light pitch and the dopamine-like effect of his captivating lyrics.
12. “Learning for Your Love” (feat. Marcus Marr), Chet Faker, Work. This EP was such a pleasant surprise! I think Chet and Marcus should work together more often. Also, can somebody do a ballet choreography for this?
13. “Undiscovered,” Laura Welsh, Fifty Shades of Grey (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack). One of the best soundtracks of the year hands down. But like, really, how awkward would it have been if this film had a bad soundtrack?
14. “FOOLS,” Troye Sivan, Blue Neighbourhood. Troye just keeps making his YouTube fans prouder everyday!
15. “Don’t Need Nobody,” Ellie Goulding, Delirium. Although I do miss her old folktronica and alt-pop sound, I don’t think this is a bad phase for her.
16. “True Believer,” Avicii, Stories. I don’t know why Avicii went that far in manipulating Chris Martin’s voice but it’s definitely laughable. So just laugh.
17. “I’m In Love With My Life,” PHASES, For Life. Such a fun song and music video!
18. “We’re Coming to You,” the bird and the bee, Recreational Love. I can’t explain the utter bliss I feel whenever I hear this song, but it is quite welcomed.
19. “The Line,” Seoul, I Become a Shade. Almost got to see them live. Seoul is such a beautiful mixture of melancholy and tranquility.
20. “The Less I Know the Better,” Tame Impala, Currents. WHERE HAS AUSTRALIA BEEN HIDING TAME IMPALA?! Gosh, they are amazeballs.
21. “I’m a Ruin,” Marina and the Diamonds, FROOT. I was shocked to find how depressing some of the lyrics were on this album but that doesn’t take away anything from its greatness.
22. “Beautiful Now” (feat. Jon Bellion), Zedd, True Colors. Beautiful now and forever.
23. “Testarossa Music” (feat. Gallant), Zhu, Genesis Series. Testarossa music? Try Testa-sexy music! Amrite?
24. “High Up,” The Maneken, Soulmate Sublime. Never in a million years would I have imagined taking a liking to a Ukrainian artist’s music, but I just love The Maneken’s accent!
25. “Spark,” Until the Ribbon Breaks, A Lesson Unlearnt. Until the Ribbon Breaks kind of reminds me of Anberlin. I can’t wait to hear what they’ve got in store for future projects!
Have a Happy New Year, everyone!