This morning, NBC brought the Thanksgiving celebration to all of our hearts with Macy’s 87th Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City.
The parade was almost balloon-less this year due to the wind gusts in NYC today. Balloons were flown lower than usual as a precaution.
The festivities began on television at 9 a.m. with the Macy’s Great American Marching Band’s instrumental version of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ “Can’t Hold Us.”
It was a great start to the morning!
Here are ten other great performances/floats/balloons featured in the parade:
1. Kinky Boots “Raise You Up”/”Just Be”: The performance from the cast of the Broadway musical Kinky Boots stirred a bit of controversy…
— Jessica McMathis (@jessicamcmathis) November 28, 2013
THIS THING IS RATED G I DONT THINK KINKY BOOTS IS RATED G
— a loves h (@kraveharry) November 28, 2013
— Michael Broussard (@TDurdenlive) November 28, 2013
Regardless, I think the performace was great. Those guys dance really well in high heeled boots! I do understand how that can be hard to explain to young children.
2. The Sound of Music “16 Going on 17” (Leisl and Rolf): The performance of “16 Going on 17” by Leisl and Rolf from The Sound of Music was simply adorable. The kiss at the end was so sweet!
3. All That! Cloggers: The all male group of cloggers from South Carolina did a fantastic job. Is there any chance you guys would be willing to let a female join in? (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge)
4. Cher Lloyd “I Wish”: Cher Lloyd performed her song “I Wish” while on board the Hess float this year. Loved it!
5. Richard Simmons: I think this one was more odd than great. Russel Simmons rode passed the green carpet inside of a tortoise while kicking his legs up and down. I don’t quite know how to understand this.
6. J.U.M.P.: Okay, I know some people didn’t like them, but I thought they were really cool. J.U.M.P. (Jumpers United for Macy’s Parade) skipped rope to Calvin Harris and Ellie Goulding’s “I Need Your Love.” (Maybe I liked them so much because the only sport I can actually play well is jump rope. I felt a connection. What can I say?)
7. South Shore Drill Team: I thoroughly enjoyed the South Shore Drill’s routine to Usher’s “Euphoria.” They’ve got some great moves!
8. Despicable Me Cast: I can’t get enough of those cute little minions! The minions, Gru and the evil purple minion danced on their float to Pharrell Williams’ “Happy,” a song from the Despicable Me 2 soundtrack.
9. Ariana Grande “Last Christmas”: I hadn’t yet heard Ariana Grande’s version of “Last Christmas” before her performance on the Dora float this morning. I can’t say I didn’t like the R&B spin she put on the song!
10. Elf on the Shelf: The Elf on the Shelf balloon is one of the largest balloons to ever be part of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. I think this is the cutest elf I’ve ever seen!
As usual, the grand finale was Santa and Mrs. Claus, the cutest couple of the morning (well, afternoon at this point). Santa’s still looking healthy, and so does Mrs. Claus!
Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Hanukkah! I’m thankful for all of my wonderful Whisper Box fans! You guys are awesome!
Have a great holiday!